Friday 28 March 2014

My experience with open learning

[Activity 1]

My own experience with open education and open learning has been primarily through the Open University.

  • As a tutor, I have suggested various OU Open Learn materials to help my students with their study skills.
  • As a student, I have used the materials to determine whether I would be able to cope with a particular course, or to assess my level of knowledge in a particular area. For example, I spent some time reviewing the materials for H817 that were provided as a MOOC before deciding to sign up for this course.

For me personally, I learn a lot in this way. The only issue I have is that it can be difficult – if not impossible – to validate that learning. Where it is used directly in my work, the very fact that I can demonstrate (and use) my new knowledge or skills practically is enough. I only need to prove my learning in the sense of qualifications when someone else puts that requirement in place.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alison

    Open Learning has a long history with the original concept being supported by a large government initiative in the 1980's called Open Tech which was largely paper based but focused on removing barriers to learning.

    Cheers

    Alan

    ReplyDelete